Vermont Health Connect (VHC) is the marketplace where Vermonters can enroll in Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur, buy private insurance, and find out if eligible for subsidies to help pay for coverage.
WHO CAN GET HEALTH COVERAGE THROUGH VHC
- You can enroll in Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur at any time through VHC.
- Eligibility for Medicaid expanded so that more Vermonters are now eligible. The income limits are higher and assets are not looked at.
- Dr. Dynasaur stayed the same, except that children up to age 19 are eligible.
- Individuals and families without access to "affordable" employer coverage can get coverage through VHC and find out if they are eligible for help paying premiums and for reduced out of pocket costs.
- Small employers with up to 50 Full Time employees can buy coverage for their employees. Small employers must enroll directly with one of the insurance companies offering coverage in Vermont Health Connect—either BlueCross BlueShield or MVP.
- VHAP and Catamount Health ended March 31, 2014.
- Vermonters who were in either VHAP or Catamount Health can enroll in Medicaid at any time or apply for coverage in the private health insurance plans and subsidies to help pay for coverage at the next open enrollment starting November 15, 2014.
Open Enrollment for 2014 ended March 31, 2014 for the private insurance plans. The next Open Enrollment Period will be November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015. You can enroll in Medicaid and Dr. Dynasaur at any time.
There are some exceptions to the open enrollment deadline that allow you to enroll through VHC immediately such as:
- Losing your employer insurance because you quit your job, got fired, retired (unless you are eligible for Medicare), or took another job that doesn't offer insurance
- Getting married
- Losing your coverage as a dependent
- Moving to Vermont
Individuals who have COBRA coverage are allowed to drop it and enroll in coverage through Vermont Health Connect until July 1, 2014. After July 1, enrollment can happen only when COBRA expires or during the next Open Enrollment Period..
Learn More About the Vermont Health Connect: Overview | Key Points | Coverage for Individuals and Families