The metabolism is the process by which the necessary energy required by the body through food is obtained. This energy is measured in calories, one calorie is defined as the amount of heat required to raise one degree Centigrade in the temperature of 1 gram of water. In food terms, it is the amount of food required to produce 1 kilocalorie of energy. Each food produces more or fewer calories per serving and, therefore, it is said that foods have different value caloric, but how many calories should you eat a day?
Well, there is no exact table to measure the calories you need daily, as everything depends on each person (age, gender, height, and their lifestyle), but there are methods to get an estimation of your day-to-day caloric needs. The method below is performed taking into account various factors such as gender, age and physical activity with the goal of having a diet balanced and avoid the risk of obesity.
How to calculate
If you are a man multiply your weight by 25 if you are a woman, by 23.
Based on the result from step 1 make the following calculation:
– If you are under 25 years old, you have to add 300 calories.
– If you are between 25 and 45 do not perform any operation.
– If you are between 45 and 55 subtract 100 calories.
– If you are between 55 and 65 subtract 200 calories.
– And if you have more than 65 years subtract 300 calories.
Finish your calculation taking into account your level of physical activity:
– If you make no physical activity or live a sedentary lifestyle, leaves the above calculation as it is.
– If you perform light physical light (walking 15 minutes, perform household chores and any work with little effort), add 100 calories to the previous result.
– If you make moderate physical activity (going to the gym or dancing 3 times a week), add 200 calories to the result from step 2.
– If you are intensely active, add 300 calories to the result from step 2.
With these calculations, you know how many calories your body needs to maintain your ideal weight. After knowing that, you can eat fewer than that to lose weight or more than that to gain weight if you wish, it all depends on what your goal. There are also online calculators to get your daily calorie requirement instantly.